Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 - summary.

I interrupt the series of entries from DPRK to summarize shortly the year 2014.
As the year nears its end it is time to sum up what happened during it. Flights, memories, pictures, experiences. Everything connected with my activity in the air.

Let me start from my Personal TOP 5 photos of the year. In no special order. I tried to  show a diversified range of shots. Not necessarily top quality, but all of them represent something.

1. A pair of MiG-29 departing for one more training before the parade in Warsaw. I chose that shot because of the equipment I used, because I like the frame, because I love fire, because that was a superb day. Entry source and the direct photo source.

2.The 787 performed a stunning low pass during the Red Bull Air Race in Gdynia. Something I will never forget. A fantastic plane performing a fantastic stunt.

3. Kalitta coming to Warsaw was a big thing. Two Jumbos, a -400 and a -200. Fantastic planes, one of my personal favorite shots due to the background.

4. This shot is the one I chose from the DPRK. I didn't manage to play with all my shots yet, but that one is surely one of my favorites from the trip. For the awesome trip, awesome people I met, and awesome metal flying there. direct photo source and the entry source

5. Last but not least. A shot made during landing in Istanbul, flying from Warsaw. I love the background, I love the angle, I love the plane. For all the classics still flying out there - may they fly as long as possible. Entry source



And now back to the beginning.

For my first flight I had to wait more than a month. Not a problem at all. When I got in the air I have spent there some time visiting more than just two airports. The trip to Turkey sure is something to remember. Cheap domestic flights, the number of operations encourage you to fly around the country. It was supposed to be one of the last times that I flew the 737-400, but, well, it didn't end up like that. Also I couldn't not go for spotting in Istanbul. The weather wasn't from the dreams but it did allow for some nice shots.


Next, thanks to a warm winter I could restart flying gliders in March. Unluckily, in the long perspective, money had to go for different things so I wasn't able to fly in total as much as I wanted to. Well, you can't have all that you want!
From the bigger things: Warsaw was visited a couple of times by the Boeing 717 and we got a private Boeing 727 from Fortune Air.

Later, the usual congestion of Israeli planes. El Al, Arkia and other charter firms operating flights to/from Israel. I can't forget about testing a new winch before it came to Warsaw. That was one heck of a day connected with my first An-2 flight (it was a test flight, with stalls and so on :) )

The break of May and June was a nice period for spotters in Warsaw. First we got a Etihad Cargo triple seven, later on the 25th anniversary of regaining freedom in Poland with heads of state from around the world arriving, and ending with a visit of the Tupolev 154 from Belavia. A type that is bound to be retired after 29th May 2015.

August was the month under the sign of the Red Bull Air Race in Gdynia. Getting there was partially fun.

Next came a time of heavy arrivals in Warsaw. The Iberia A340 with Real Madrid players, the JAL 777 and two Kalitta Jumbos.

At the break of August and September I flew the 737-400 again.

September was in fact the main part, the best part of my aviation year. The trip to the DPRK, flying on amazing types made in the USSR (like the Il-18). Getting there and out was important. Well you can't get to the DPRK without getting to Beijing (when flying). I really wanted to fly the Boeing 767 at least one way and I managed to. A combined ticket on Swiss (A330) and Austrian (B767) got me what I wanted.

I could end here because there isn't much to write about after the DPRK trip. It still is the main subject of my entries. But we can't forget about the unexpected visit of a British Airways Boeing 777.

Summing up. It was the best year - in numbers - till now. 25 flights, 49 hours in air. My top airline was Air Koryo with 11 flights, just ahead of LOT (5 flights) and Ryanair (3 flights). Top planes the 734 and 738 (4 flights each). Those stats are excluding gliders.

I hope 2015 will be overall at least as good as 2014. Current plans are awesome! First flights already booked. I hope to finish entries from the DPRK as soon as possible. That sure is one thing I want to "accomplish".

See you in 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment