Monday, February 1, 2016

Flying the Ukraine International Boeing 737-500

October first, a Thursday almost like every other but with one small difference. The long awaited trip to Iran is beginning! Two sectors with Ukraine International Airlines are ahead and a 6 hour stopover in Kiev, just enough to have a quick view on a couple of attractions downtown.

01 October 2015
PS802 (1045-1315) WAW-KBP
UR-GAT Boeing 737-500

More or less at 8:30am I take a bus to the airport. As I've previously checked-in already so I just need to drop off my bag for my next two flights: PS802 (WAW-KBP) and PS751 (KBP-IKA). There is a queue at the economy class check-in of UIA that I don't have to stand in. So I quickly drop my bags and proceed to the security control. Meet up with a couple of friends, eat breakfast and finally around 10:30 am board the plane. STD is 10:45. Meanwhile, a friend with whom I'm gonna go on the trip inside Iran is going to fly 5 minutes later to Doha with QR, but he will get earlier to IKA having a more convenient connection. My choice of flying UIA was not only time-based. Let's get back to the flight. We taxi to runway 29 and depart smoothly passing beside the QR A320. A great panorama of the city center is visible before we make a turn to the left and head for Kiev. STA is 1315LT. During this one hour and couple of minutes flight there is no free service, not even water. If you want anything, you have to pay for it. Luckily prices aren't sky high. Anyway I have no need for a single thing so I pass on the occasion. Today's ride is a 1993 Boeing 737-500 UR-GAT, previously operating for Air France (what you can see by some french writings inside the plane). The plane has been retrofitted with winglets but inside it still is the same good, old 737 that I expected. With the yellowish light, characteristic overhead bins and a classic cockpit :) Always leading to a smile :) Landing in Kiev is on time and you can see some true soviet metal classics outside. After my quick cockpit visit I go through emigration and head for a quick visit in the city (did not feel like waiting 6 hours at the airport). To shortly sum up the flight:nothing really above the standard. The crew was there, did their job, absolute zero catering for free is s small minus, but that flight was short, on my longer flight a meal was given. The price is good and it is pretty easy to get a status with UIA frequent flier program. I give them a decent 3+ (on the school scale, but tending to a 4). They got me safely to where I wanted in a reasonable price for my routing (OW to IKA on not exactly a long notice). Video review of the plane at the bottom.

After departure with a nice view on the city
Not a usual guest, a SAS ATR instead of the usual CRJ900
On the roll! Passing my friends flight to DOH
After departure with a nice view on the city



Cruising calmly
Sufficient leg space with the french inscriptions visible on the seat pocket


Still a classic toilet with fluid instead of the suction mechanism

Final approach to KBP
After landing, a couple of nice classics


A very pleasant captain posing for a photo
The way to the terminal. I must say this is a good use of space because the gate may be used for both international and domestic flights, the only difference is from where do the passengers come (which level)
Baggage claim
General check-in area




Check out the rest of the trip:
PS751 to Tehran
Mahan Air BAe-146
Qeshm Air BAe-146
Iran Aseman B727
Mahan Air A300
Pouya Air An74
Iran Air 747
Tehran Aviation Museum
Iran Air maintenance facilities
Malindo Air 739
Norwegian 787
Kuala Lumpur spotting
Tehran spotting

No comments:

Post a Comment