Saturday, April 22, 2017

Daily Air Twin Otter KHH-CMJ-MZG 2016.12.30

During my trip to Taiwan I had to get on one of the island hopping flights. At first I thought I'd get on a Dornier 228 but a Twin Otter isn't too bad after all. As they don't operate in Taipei I had to choose a destination that would nicely fit with all the scheduled times. After all I decided to fly from Kaohsiung to Qimei and on to Magong with Daily Air and return to Taipei from Magong with Far Eastern Air Transport and their MD80 (a separate post will come for that). I took to THSR from Taipei to Kaohsiung, hopped on the MRT and arrived at KHH with tonnes of time to spare. So I walked around, took some pictures until finally, one hour before departure I could check-in and proceed through the security area. The waiting area is general for all flights and the 'gate' shows up moments before boarding. We area taken to the plane by bus, seats are assigned I get on my cosy 1C with the best view in town. My head nearly touches the ceiling and my bag sits at 1D. Awesome flight with glances into the paperwork, the FMC and other visible systems. The pilots surprised to learn that I'll be flying with them on the next sector, I disembark, grab some fresh air, wait for the plane to be loaded, papers filled out, the crew to rest and well, I had to check-in for the flight at the local check-in desk. The terminal looks sufficient for the needs of the locals. No belts, everything is manual. Unluckily the weather was gloomy and windy, which after all was a good thing because I did not regret the short stay. I'll have to return one day for a walk around the island.
On the second sector I sit in the fifth row, behind the wing. The only thing I want is for the plane to land in Magong. Wind and the size of the plane together with our low altitude come together for some pretty solid turbulence. Unlucky that there is a storm nearby. Lucky that the flights did even depart. The day before all Daily Air flights have been cancelled due weather.

Overall, I may surely recommend flying those short hops around on those tiny machines. I am still am after the Do228 though ;)

#1
30 December 2016
DA7011 (1300-1340) KHH-CMJ
B-55573 De Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter

With a quick spotting from the general area before taking the flight.


B-17011
B-22822
B-22817
B-22818
International departures
B-HYI
Christmas spirit
Domestic departures from KHH
Domestic airside at Kaohsiung
Best view from seat 1C


Runway ahead
Last moments over the sea


Inside the plane

The terminal from outside




#2
30 December 2016
DA7016 (1420-1440) CMJ-MZG
B-55573 De Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter

Quite windy, views don't differ too much. Luckily a quick hop before the longer wait for the last flight back to Taipei.

Basically the entire terminal at Qimei. On the left, the check-in and ticket desk, the waiting area foremost, security check in the rear and the toilets on the right.




Baggage claim in Magong

Rest of the Taiwanese journey:
LO91
Xiamen Boeing 757 (MF8166)
Xiamen Boeing 737 (MF883, MF880, MF8119)
Far Eastern Air Transport MD80
Spotting at TSA
LO92

No comments:

Post a Comment