Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Low cost day, Lublin by Wizz Air 2017.03.26

One day I decided that I wanted to fly to and from Lublin airport. That flying from and to is different. Plus I didn’t want to have to get back from Lublin by bus or get to Lublin by bus. Wizzair has one plane based at Lublin so the flights are schematic. After some research the final routing was chosen, mostly based on the price factor. The day was to be a sad day for my back anyway, so at least my wallet wouldn’t suffer that much. It ended to be a WAW-LTN-LUZ-NYO-GDN-WAW routing with Wizz and the last segment with Ryanair. 6 am departure from Warsaw and back in Warsaw after 8 pm. Sounds like a plan. I checked-in for my flights rather late, with hope that maybe some “better” seats could be allocated, I got 3 times an aisle, one middle and one window seat, at least at the start. As I didn’t plan on too much photography (no camera) as I was traveling very light that wasn’t too big of a problem. Of course the window seat was on the flight after which I had the shortest connection. When buying the tickets I had 25 minutes in Gdańsk. Later Ryanair changed their schedule giving me only 10 scheduled minutes to change planes... But step by step:




#1 WAW-LTN
W61301 (0600-0735) WAW-LTN
HA-LXK Airbus A321

Early morning arrival at the airport, almost a full A321, seated somewhere in the rear at an aisle, boarded as one of the last, push my small bag somewhere into the overhead bin, take my seat and soon after we begin taxiing. On-time. Great! That was my biggest stress, that the flight to London would be delayed and I’d miss my connection to Lublin. I get some, little but still, sleep, and with earphones in, await the landing in Luton. Eol was on our side and we arrive early, very early. Our stand is still in use so we have to wait. Deboarding goes easily and I proceed slowly to the immigration counters and then, after exiting the airport, back to the gates.

Boarding in Warsaw

#2 LTN-LUZ
W62066 (0830-1205) LTN-LUZ
HA-LYL Airbus A320

I arrive at the gate having plenty of time left so I continue walking around the airport. Very lowcosty. It has been a long time since my last visit at Luton and I didn’t exactly wait impatiently for the next Luton visit. The flight itself got slightly delayed due to some problems with passengers (and their bags) on board. The crew has swiftly handled it and soon I was on my way back to Poland. This time in the middle seat. Most of the flight passes the same way that the first flight did. Earphones in, hood up, and snoozing. After landing I get to the passport control as one of the first, still have to get back through security for the next flight, this time to Sweden. The staff at the baggage claim area is really surprised with me only having a tiny backpack.

Queue to the gate
Boarding at LTN
Baggage claim at LUZ



#3 LUZ-NYO
W62083 (1250-1435) LUZ-NYO
HA-LYL Airbus A320

A quick walk from the arrivals to the departures, a couple of photos, very procedural security check (even my wallet got one) and I’m ready to fly again. The gates area looks quite nice. Better then RDO, IEG or slightly better than RZE even, I’d say. Seats in four colors of the airport, a playground for the youngest passengers, a tiny smoking area. Definitely could be done in a much worse way. I am slightly positively surprised. I take my seat in the aisle again and prepare for a short hop north. Not long this time. The flights will now be getting shorter. This time less sleep, can’t find the energy to sleep. So I just sit there, listening to the V2500 working and wait for the landing. Hard to say something was bad, if there wasn’t really anything. Well, one crew member did look real nice, but I’ll keep that to myself.

Check-in area at LUZ
The terminal as seen form the ramp
Boarding at LUZ
Baggage claim at NYO



#4 NYO-GDN
W61734 (1735-1840) NYO-GDN
HA-LPZ Airbus A320

The longest layover on the trip. Have to wait for the flight to Gdansk, too short to get to the city, too long to not get bored. So after getting to the gates area I sit, I walk around the shop (and buy! some licorice), walk around the airport, sit, walk around the shop, sit a little more. Watch the same add for the 15th time. Just to kill time. Of course I wish for the flight not only to be on time but to be ahead of time. The earlier we land in GDN the greater the chance I make it back home by plane. Yes! the plane has arrived from GDN on time. A first good sign. On this flight I was supposed to seat in row 10 by, the window, usually I’d be very happy both from the row and the window, the views are one of the best from that area, but not today. The crew lets me take an aisle seat upfront, it will only make me any difference if we are be able to get to the terminal by foot. If buses are used, I could well be seated by the window, no real difference. During the flight I make a small, sweet purchase and impatiently look from time to time on my watch. We made it, ahead of schedule. And a bus. What was won, got almost lost. After all I arrive at the terminal 17 minutes prior my departure which gives me 7 minutes until the gate gets closed. Easy. So I head directly to the gates with the transfer passage from the arrivals, saving myself time-loss at any security check.

Check-in area at NYO
Waiting area beside the gates at NYO
Boarding as fast as possible to make the departure as soon as possible


#5 GDN-WAW
FR3098 (1850-1945) GDN-WAW
EI-DWA Boeing 737-800

Arriving early from NYO gave me a chance to get the flight to Warsaw. Having known that Ryanair closes the gate 10 minutes to departure, I knew that if I had not landed ahead of schedule, I would have had no chance of catching my flight (10 minutes between them). When I bought the tickets, the 25 minutes layover was much safer. So after exiting the bus, having 7 minutes until the gate closes, I proceed directly to the gate and arrive there after two minutes. No running whatsoever! Easy. A fun experience with a slight addition of adrenaline. The flight leaves on time. The plane is equipped with the Boeing Sky Interior and the new Ryanair seats which are slimmer. This is a very positive change. Still no seat pocket but the seats are ok for a short flight, and you do have more leg space than you have with the old seats. I could easily put one leg on the other without hurting my knee. Very fun crew on this flight made my evening positive after a long day of low-cost flying. Disembarking with a smile, I was happy to be back in Warsaw. The new seats although much better than the old ones are a rare positive change for Ryanair.

Deboarding in Warsaw after a long day

All in all, it was a long but fun day. 5 flights, 2 airlines, 5 airports, 3 different airplane types, a very short connection that worked out lovely. But after all, I simply reminded myself why I don’t like flying with low-cost airlines in Europe. The seats, the airports. As much as I understand them, I dislike them and will continue to try not to fly with them if it won’t be necessary (as it is at some occasions)

No comments:

Post a Comment