Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Air Koryo Antonov 24

This flight is the second part of the Pyongyang-Sondok-Pyongyang journey. I flew the first leg on the Tupolev 134. As mentioned in the T134 entry, our group was split into half and we changed planes on the return leg. Thus I ended up flying the An24 for the first time in my life. But first we waited for the 134 to depart - during the time we had an opportunity for it to taxi meters in front of us and later takeoff leaving a cloud of dust behind it. When it was gone, we started boarding our plane. I was looking for a spot from which I could capture the entire engine with my GoPro. Unluckily the spot for it has been already taken so I was left with what I got. The engine nacelle can be entirely seen in the picture, but the fan not so clearly. Never mind. Seated in row 8 I prepared for takeoff and had a quick look around the plane. As we where not allowed to make any footage from the departure (the same reason as during the landing on the 134 - military stuff) I tried to get as much as I could from the experience. One thing said - I dislike the plane. It made my feel dizzy and the only thing I wanted is to get out of it. All the vibrations (the more to the front the more you get them), all the sound (which didn't please me at all) and a specific smell. Additionally the food we ate before the flight - well it wasn't top notch even for the local standards. A friend of mine got sick from it.
Overall I could say that the flight went smoothly, without major problems. I don't like the plane and surely will not hunt for it in the future. Well, any old plane is good, so who knows :P maybe someday I'll feel like flying on it again. Photos and videos below.

Arriving in Sondok
Taxiing in Sondok
Deboarding in Sondok


Refueling

Close up at the nose
The engine
The engine
Pitot tubes and some other equipment
The tail
In the air after departing Sondok
View from the first row
The cabin in-flight
View from row 8 to the front
And we arrive in Pyongyang:

Queuing for the cockpit give a chance for a empty seat shot

Main panels in the cockpit

No comments:

Post a Comment